SINKS MUMMY

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Food, Glorious Food

I seem to spend a lot of time in the shops staring at food ingredient labels. Matt and I are the gluten-intolerant type, Anika is allergic to nuts, especially peanuts, in a big way and my Mum is allergic to fish so when she visits I need to keep that in mind too. It can get rather time consuming but if I'm not vigilant Matt and I could be holding our stomachs in pain, Mum's face could swell up like a balloon and Anika could stop breathing.

Our family's intolerances and allergies are a source of interest for our budgie. Before I realised that Matt had inherited my gluten problem our budgie learned to imitate Matt's, "I've got a tummy ache!" The poor budgie confused this saying with, "Hello Rachel" (Anika's friend) and turned it into, "I've got a tummy, Rachel." I'm sure Rachel was delighted to know that.

So it was with great pleasure that I went to the "Irresistable Gluten-Free Show" on Saturday morning. It was so nice to go in and sample all different varieties of plain bread, fruit bread, chocolate cakes, plain cakes, chocolate, muffins, pies, gingerbread biscuits, custard cream biscuits....need I go on. I'm just glad I didn't feel like eating breakfast before I went. And I didn't have to check any labels before I ate anything!! I came away with free sample bags and products that I bought at a good price. I can't wait to use the mix for white chocolate cream biscuits.

While there one company gave away free samples of 'Free Nut Smooth' which is a gluten-free, nut-free alternative to peanut paste. It is made from sunflower seeds and looks, smells and even tastes like peanut paste. The representative assured me that every batch is tested for peanut protein. Anika was interested and asked to have some on bread for lunch. It didn't work for her. Because it smelled, looked and tasted like the real peanut deal she felt funny about eating it. There was no reaction but I guess it's just the psychological element of it. Hubby and I liked it though so Hubby's cravings for peanut paste can perhaps be satisfied without risking Anika reacting to the smell of a sandwich.

Hubby and Lloyd have cast iron stomachs. I often tell them how thankful they should be.

I'm off to have some yummy tea biscuits made by the company who make the pretend peanut paste.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At May 19, 2009 at 3:35 PM , Blogger Wendy said...

    Food allergies are so difficult. You have my sympathy! We have friends with children who have a soy allergy - extra difficult.

    CAJ has one grade Oner who is allergic to nuts and therefore the whole school is nut-free, so the parents can feel she is safe. It is a big thing for the whole school to be affected like this. The other day another grade one student accidentally brought a packet of nuts and started eating it in their classroom. They had to evacuate the classroom and have it totally cleaned. WOW!

     
  • At May 23, 2009 at 7:36 PM , Blogger TobyBo said...

    LOL. I found myself thinking, "She's blogged this before." Then I remembered that no, it is blogger TheChickadeeFeeder who has blogged a similar day.http://thechickadeefeeder.xanga.com/678979215/item/

    Interesting - because just this weekend I was discussing with Miss Language the fact that I'd like to meet both of you. :)

     
  • At May 24, 2009 at 9:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thank you for reminding me how thankful I ought to be for having, as you put it, a "cast-iron stomach"! I take it for granted except for when something goes awry!

     
  • At May 25, 2009 at 7:12 AM , Anonymous TheChickadeefeeder said...

    I will really enjoy hearing about your gluten-free life, especially since you live on the other side of the globe!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home