SINKS MUMMY

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Uncovering the real meaning of the words

Mike sometimes has us wondering what he's trying to say. Sometimes it's the complete opposite of what we originally think he's saying. Here's an example:

Mike (when eating dinner): I want to have enough.

Most would think this means that he's hungry and wants more dinner but...

Translation: I want it to be thought that I've had enough to eat so I can ask to get down from the table.

He also uses some unusual verbs:

Mike (after a trip to the park): I need a drink because I'm thirsting to death.

We say that we're starving to death but I don't really know how else to put "thirsting to death". I guess we could say, "I'm dehydrating to death?"

In spite of continual correction by me, Lloyd and Matt still talk about "talking with each another" rather than "talking with each other". At least they don't use the word "brang". I remember one of Anika's friends using "brang" and I kept correcting her but Hubby used to chime in and say, "bring, brang, brung" - it makes sense in a way.

The different meanings our English words have sometimes thrown my understanding out too. I was 30 before I really understood why the second hand on the clock was called a second hand and not the 'third' hand. After all, there's a big hand and a little hand so it should be called a 'third hand'. One day I was pondering this anomaly and suddenly my brain stopped thinking about ordinal numbers and started thinking about a second in time.

Where was my brain for 30 years?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home