SINKS MUMMY

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Move over Santa

For some time now Mike has been obsessed with the idea of Lego Indiana Jones. Neither he nor the other children have ever seen the movies and I have only seen the one I got taken to by some friends many years back. I think his obsession is because he's been on the Lego site and played the game where Indy zooms across the screen, sometimes on his cute Lego horse, capturing secrets, gold and Indy hats.

Mike has had to improvise with dressing up our other Lego characters as Indy but when the geniune Lego Indy came up on an auction site I used his pocket money to purchase it. Today it arrived and the "proper" Indy was immediately put to use. When Hubby arrived home an excited Mike showed him Indy. "Did you buy Indiana Jones?" enquired Hubby. "No, the postman gave it to me," was Mike's reply. Mike seems to think that the postie knows about all five year old boys and what they desire. And we never have entertained the idea of Santa - I think I mentioned in a previous post that, in answer to Anika's enquiries about who the red man was, Hubby described Santa as "John Calvin in a party suit".

Anika has been busy reading her latest French novel. She knows I like to hear about French idioms. One of my favourites is the French equivalent of "being on cloud nine" which is, apparently, to "be with the angels." So just after Mike's description of the benevolent postie Anika informed me that "to have difficulty with" something in French goes something like, "to have the sickness of a dog about" something. After seeing Lloyd's maths work today and hearing his comment about how ill he felt I think the French have something there.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At February 16, 2009 at 12:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well, I'm not sure about the French idiom being what I think it is. I didn't actually look it up, I just found it in a French novel and assumed that is what it meant.

     
  • At February 20, 2009 at 6:58 PM , Blogger TobyBo said...

    smiling from ear to ear here about John Calvin in a party suit. I always thought he was thinner and the beard was different... maybe it's different all around in Australia.

    and I agree about French idioms... if I remember right my favorite were "make a big goat" for what we call "get away with murder," "let us return to our sheep" for "get back to the subject at hand," and calling your sweetie a "little cabbage."

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home