SINKS MUMMY

Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Different Language

The conversation at our place yesterday: Mike: Mum, do you know what Americans call the bank? Me: No, what do Americans call the bank? Mike: The bairnk. When watching an episode of an American series recently I noticed that the female character talked about getting a "lairmp". From watching what she bought I assume she meant lamp. Apparently, so I'm told, the actors tone down their American accents for filming. Maybe this is so that we can understand them. I think I'd need an interpreter if I went there. Many years ago, when my parents were in LA, the 'bairnk' teller couldn't understand my father. He spoke with a mild English accent even though he'd lived in Australia for 20 years at that point. I also remember when Anika was about 3 or 4 and we were watching "The Importance of Being Earnest" (the good old version with Michael Redgrave). After watching a little while Anika commented, "What language are they speaking Daddy?" Even in Britain the different 'dialects' make for a lot of mistranslation. My Scottish friend asked me one night if I remembered to take my 'chocs'. I had no idea what she was talking about. I couldn't remember her giving me any chocolate so it was a complete mystery until I realised she was talking about craft chalks that I had bought from her craft company. Maybe I should just take pen and paper around for clarification.

4 Comments:

  • At April 10, 2011 at 4:00 AM , Blogger Mrs Q said...

    Does anyone have any idea why I can't get blogger to remember the line spaces?

     
  • At April 10, 2011 at 5:37 AM , Blogger Wendy said...

    I know someone else who had that problem recently. I thought this all looked pretty odd. I'll see if I can find out.

     
  • At April 11, 2011 at 5:20 PM , Blogger Wendy said...

    This blogger is having the same problem: http://ben-vanishingpoint.blogspot.com/2011/04/groan.html

    It doesn't just seem to be the paragraph breaks, but the whole font thing is odd. I did hear someone mention a problem with Internet Explorer, you don't use that do you?

     
  • At May 9, 2011 at 8:33 AM , Blogger Amelia Antwiler said...

    In America, we often have problems understanding each other. Each part of the country seems to have it's own idiosyncrasies about words.

    Dialects and slang vary in all corners. It's an amusing place to live.

    Should you ever come to my neck of the woods, I'd be happy to interpret for you. ^_^

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home